Evaluation and Treatment of the Injured Runner: A Biomechanical Approach
Christopher M. Powers, PT, PhD, FACSM, FAPTA
October 28-29, 2023 (Movement Performance Institute – Los Angeles, CA)
Running is a demanding physical activity performed by millions of persons worldwide. Given the repetitive high-impact nature of running, many individuals who engage in this form of exercise experience pain or become injured. For the clinician, managing the injured runner can be challenging as the cause(s) of running injuries are often multifactorial. Furthermore, a thorough biomechanical evaluation is often necessary to determine underlying injury mechanism(s) in order to guide treatment decisions. This evidence-based course will address contemporary topics related to running mechanics, running-related injuries, and the rehabilitation of the injured runner. The use of video analysis as an integral part of the running examination will be emphasized, and strategies to modify running mechanics will be addressed as part of a comprehensive approach to treatment. Case studies will be utilized to promote the integration of the material presented.
Course Objectives/Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of the course, the participant will be able to:
1) Describe the biomechanics of running
2) Describe current trends in running styles and footwear
3) Perform a basic running evaluation using video methods
4) Understand the biomechanical factors that underlie common running injuries
5) Describe treatment approaches for common running injuries
8:30-10:00 Biomechanics of Running
10:15-12:00 Current trends in running styles & footwear
1:00-3:00 Abnormal running mechanics
3:30-5:00 Biomechanical causes of common running injuries
8:00-10:00 Evaluation of the injured runner (lecture & lab)
10:30-12:00 Evaluation of the injured runner (cont.)
1:00-3:00 Treatment of the injured runner (lecture & lab)
3:15-5:00 Patient cases
- All courses approved for CEU’s through the California Physical Therapy Association
- Courses are limited to 32 participants on a first come, first served basis
- There are many hotels on Century Blvd at LAX that are within walking distance of MPI (Concourse, Sheraton, Marriott Courtyard, Hilton). In addition, most hotels have a free shuttle to and from the hotel and all airline terminals so there is no need to rent a car.
Complete the Registration form and send a check to the address listed (made payable to MPI). Credit card payment can be taken over the phone (310-670-6683)
Full refund if cancellation is received >21 days before the course date.
Full refund less 25% if cancellation is received 8-21 days before the course date.
Full refund less 50% if cancellation is received within 7 days of the course date.