Fundamentals of Clinical Gait Analysis: A Step-by-Step Approach
Christopher M. Powers, PT, PhD, FACSM, FAPTA
June 2-3, 2018 (Movement Performance Institute – Los Angeles, CA)
Gait analysis is a fundamental aspect of physical therapist practice that is used to guide the development of the best possible intervention(s) for restoring optimal movement and function. The purpose of this course is to introduce the student to the fundamentals of normal and pathological gait. The use of observational and video analysis as an integral part of the gait examination will be emphasized. In addition, strategies to modify gait mechanics will be addressed as part of a comprehensive approach to treatment. Case studies will be utilized to promote the integration of the material presented.
Course Objectives/Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of the course, the participant will be able to:
1. Understand the role of gait analysis as a fundamental aspect of physical therapist practice.
2. Identify and define the phases, objectives and critical events of the gait cycle.
3. Describe the normal kinematics and kinetics of the ankle, knee, hip and pelvis during gait.
4. Identify gait deviations that contribute to common patient complaints.
5. Describe typical compensatory strategies in various patient populations.
6. Develop observational gait analysis skills
7. Perform a gait analysis using video methods and commercially available applications (iPad platform).
8. Develop sound intervention programs that address the root cause of gait related impairments.
8:00-8:30 Introduction to gait analysis
8:30-10:00 The gait cycle: basic functions, objectives & critical events
10:15-12:00 Normal gait kinematics & objectives (sagittal, frontal & transverse planes)
1:00-2:30 Normal gait kinetics & muscle actions
3:15-5:00 Observational gait analysis (lab)
8:00-10:00 Video gait analysis lab (lecture & lab)
10:15-12:00 Pathological gait & clinical evaluation (lecture & lab)
1:00-3:00 Treatment of gait dysfunction (lecture & lab)
3:15-5:00 Patient cases
- All courses approved for CEU’s through the California Physical Therapy Association
- Courses are limited to 34 participants on a first come, first served basis
- There are many hotels on Century Blvd at LAX that are within walking distance of MPI (Concourse, Sheraton, Marriott Courtyard, Hilton). In addition, most hotels have a free shuttle to and from the hotel and all airline terminals so there is no need to rent a car.
- Courses fees include handouts, continental breakfast, coffee, light snacks. Lunch is not included. There are many lunch options available within walking distance
Complete the Registration form 2018 and send with payment to the address listed (checks only made payable to MPI)
Full refund if cancellation is received >21 days before the course date.
Full refund less 25% if cancellation is received 8-21 days before the course date.
Full refund less 50% if cancellation is received within 7 days of the course date.